All Natural Chicken n’ Dumplings
- 2 lbs free range chicken breast meat
- 96 oz free range organic chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons organic ground pepper
- 5 cups milled wheat flour (I milled a mix of organic hard and soft white wheat berries)
- 12 tablespoons grass fed butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon organic baking soda
- 3 teaspoons organic aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
I combined the flour, butter, water and apple cider vinegar together and let sit. Then I put the chicken in the oven and let cook at 350 degrees, after thoroughly cooked, remove from oven and shred. As the chicken was cooking in the oven, I put the chicken broth and pepper in a kettle and began heating on medium heat. I waited about 15-20 minutes then added the rest of the dumpling ingredients to the dough and kneaded them in, then rolled out the dough and cut into about 1-2 inch squares with a pizza cutter. At this time, I raised the heat on broth to bring to a boil. Once boiling, I added the dumplings one at a time and moving them around gently to make sure they all submerged. I boiled them on high for 5 min., then turned the heat down to medium, covered and cooked for another 15 min., if the broth isn’t thickening enough you can add some more flour to it to thicken it. Add cooked and shredded chicken at any time after the dumplings are in. Once dumplings are cooked through remove from heat and serve.
*Note that the dumplings are going to be brown not white when you use fresh milled wheat so it drastically changes the appearance.