Chicken pot pies have always been a favorite in my house, but I used to make them with the pre-made pie crusts, all the canned (non organic) veggies, Campbell’s cream of chicken soup and canned chicken meat even. Since we have went with trying to reduce canned stuffs and eating more natural/clean/organic I have pretty much given up on the Chicken Pot Pie phase of our life until I found this recipe at heavenlyhomemakers.com. I decided to give it a whirl and this was my result:
Before typing up the recipe, I just want to make note that my oldest (boy-17) took a few bites and said ‘I like this, I mean even if we weren’t eating organic, I would ask for this again, I really really like it’
So, this is a huge keeper for me. Here is what I do:
Chicken Pot Pie
- 6 cups free range organic chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked free range chicken torn into bite size pieces
- 5 handfuls (yep that’s an accurate measurement) of organic baby carrots cut up
- 6 medium organic potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups organic frozen peas
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- also added dashes(es) of: turmeric, parsley, and italian seasoning
- 2-3 T arrowroot powder
- 1 cup milk (I used almond)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I milled soft white for this)
In a large pot, boil the broth, chicken, carrots, potatoes, and peas until veggies are tender. Mix arrowroot powder with water until smooth. Stir mixture into the broth/chicken/veggies, cooking for about a minute longer on the stove to help thicken. Pour contents into a 9×13 (or larger as mine did want to spill a little) baking dish.
In separate bowl mix milk, mayo and flour (may decrease milk a pinch or increase flour a pinch). Spread mixture over top the broth and veggies. (yes, it will be runny)
Bake in 350º oven for 45min.
*Edited 4/17/13 To note variations:
I used 8 T arrowroot powder, mixed it with 1/2 cup milk, 1 T mayo and then enough water to make it the right consistency. I only seasoned with italian seasonings and salt and pepper on this one. The broth was much less runny this way. This is what updated Chicken Pot Pie looked like.